What’s your learning story?

Home Forum All Topics What’s your learning story?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Team Bodhiroom
    Keymaster

We love hearing about people’s learning journeys! If you have an interesting story about your own journey share it in this thread along with a photo and we may feature it on our website and social media under ‘Stories.’

Some rules:

– 250 words or less
    – Original stories only (no plagiarism)
    – Depending on demand we may only feature the most interesting stories.
    – Please also share a photo of you which we can use with the story (the more interesting the better!)

Schedule:
    – We’ll be aiming to feature 1 learning story on the website and social media per week.

Pratishtha Goyal
    Participant

Hello everyone
    I am a paediatric doctor by profession. I started learning embroidery when I was 4 years old . By the time I was 16 I knew about 108 stitches. But then as usual life happened. I was drowned in books, exams and studied for 12 years continuously to become a doctor. But in These tough times during the lockdown I realised that how tough it is to be a doctor; now I actually realised that staying away from family not touching your little kids is so painful. So in these tough times I started looking for positive things, things that make me happy; thus I revived my old passion for embroidery, shedding off all those negativities. A fellow doctor introduced me to mandala art and it has proved to be a great stress buster. My only message is follow your dreams and be positive in life. Positivity and creativity is all that we need!!!!

Priyanka Verma
    Participant

Priyanka Verma, Instagram Artwork handle @creativemillennia
    ​It all started during my kindergarten days, and ever since then I am fond of colours, sheets, paints and paintbrushes. During my school days, I had participated and won many Drawing Contests. I also took up freelancing artwork for quite some time during my teenage, though I had never taken any formal training in this field. It has always been appreciated, motivating me for doing more and better. But I always kept my passion alive.

​Currently, I am working in the Consulate General of India, Birmingham, United Kingdom. I do my work passionately whether it is my profession or my hobby. I would also like to mention that I was a very sincere student. I always stood amongst the meritorious students of my class, so much so that I could not think of taking up this side of me at a professional level during my higher studies and beyond. But I always had a collection of my tools with me, helping a self-taught artist to hone her skills whenever she could.

​Amid a crisis, it became a blessing in disguise for me, at least. This quarantine phase is helping me steal so much time for my hobby – my creative artwork.

Ridhima Kalia
    Participant

Hello all art lovers !
    I am Ridhima and I am a self taught artist. (Instagram handle- )
    Basically I am a commerce lecturer and love subjects like research methodology and Advertising and sales marketing. Never ever was I hesitant to study for longer period of hours. Scoring good in Master’s motivated me to study further and went for research studies. While doing that I had long studying hours and I used to make small doodles after three to four hours to refresh myself up. Slowly and gradually I started up with acrylics and oil paintings as well and I felt that I had found my long lost love LOL! I am now getting connected with artists not only within the country but from different parts of the world.
    I can’t explain how relaxing it is to select, mix and apply the paints on sheet or canvas. It is a kind of therapy. Specially in lockdown that happened because of COVID, my interest has kept me sane.
    I feel one of the best thing about being an artist is that you can pour out what ever you feel on a plain sheet even if you have no one around to share. I will request all who are going through any kind of mental stress , take up a sheet/canvas and some paints and there you go on a way to feel better about life. Even through our illustrations, we can bring social awareness and pay tributes.
    I am looking forward to learn Fluid art and Resin work 😇 and I hope will be able to successfully do these artforms one day.

❤️

Shipra Bagga
    Participant

Hi ….i m shipra m homemaker and a hobbysist who loves to turn trash into showpieces. I ws inclined towards art since my childhood days bt being a science student i didnt gt time to focus more on that .My journey of art started in 2014 when i started recycling empty glass bottles to decor pieces .Many ppl supported me bt some used to make fun too …that i m kabadi keeps collecting all bottles wherever i found them .but i used to enjoy working with bottles either painting them doing clay art or recycling them in anyway as possibilities are endless.Till now i hv recycled more than 200 bottles .. n i hv started reusing other trash things like fused bulbs ,waste disposable containers n many other things .I feel through this recycling i can contribute a little towards enviroment making it a little better .

Alifiya Roshan Ali
    Participant

Hi,
    I am Alifiya, a crochet artist, a resident of Bahrain.
    To start with here, i have always been extremely interested in art and craft and DIY.
    Its been 9 years now that i have been crocheting, i used to see my mom crochet (she was a pro and my inspiration) and eventually picked up how she did it, and whenever i was free i used keeo trying simple basic crocheting things.
    Later i got married and shifted to Bahrain, and one day i realised why not make a good use of my childhood skill of crocheting and start my own home-based venture.
    That is when 3 years back i started with AARA’s.
    I love challenging myself with new projects and luckily all my customers have given me such projects to work on, which were completely out of my comfort zone.
    I feel No one is perfect, everyday every one is learning some or other new things, I am as well.
    Lately i have been extremely interested in amigurumi and have been making soft toys and i look forward to make more and more new ones.
    So guys anyone interested in handmade softtoys come and visit my instagram page @aarascrochet, i would love to help you’ll out.

Samina Ghadiyali
    Participant

Hi!!
    I am Samina from @samy_owncreations, from Baroda Gujarat. I am a crochet artist.
    I have been crocheting for the past 15 years now.
    Crochet is a creative skill in which i was always interested in. As years passed by i grew more and more inclined towards practising and making my self perfect at it.
    Eventually, today i have madebit a business venture for myself and it makes me super happy.
    However, my journey hasn’t been easy and smooth. Being a homemaker and a mother there were many challenges that came ahead of me, but my creative skills and talent gave me the confidence to face all challenges and move ahead.
    Today i am proud to say that i am a successful business women, a homemaker and a mother.

Shreya Aggarwal
    Participant

Hey everyone!
    Honestly, its an absurd idea for me to share a story of mine as I think its a really ordinary one and its nothing special for anyone!
    Yet my journey so far remains a really fruitful learning experience . From childhoon, I have been a creative kid, good with brushes, colours, drawing, craft and even dancing(only in parties😅) . I never saw myself making carrier in this field due to the kind of family background that I have, but painting has always been my escape. Infact, after joining the social media as a self taught artist, I have realised, how soothing and relaxing it can be to see people love art globally!
    Honestly, I started an Instagram account @floral_depictions out of pure boredom but now painting and then posting it has become a part of my routine! I paint loose florals and simple watercolor arts. I love the way water blends with the colours or a paper and create a beauty. Simple florals add up a grace to a piece of paper like they have added some worth to my life during this pandemic!

Pooja Sinha
    Participant

I didn’t want to be an artist.

I was a Recruiter in a consultancy. Doing my regular job before my son arrived in this world in 2010.
    When He turned 4. I wanted to learn painting just to break my monotony. Then onwards my art journey began and now it’s imparted part of my life..
    I made art (and always had), but only as a hobby.
    Most of my artistic interests at the time were in abstract, folk and contemporary art was primarily focused, but art has its other tales to tell you enlightened you..
    So, learnt all of it in bits & pieces watercolor, sketching, zentangle lot of different medium & style of art.
    Art doesn’t need a particular age/ skill.. you can start it any time.
    I also found some interesting art therapy courses which enriched my experience towards art..
    I’ve exhibited my art work at exhibitions, featured in newspaper & magazine, taken a few workshop and now, as a Therapeutic Art life coach started taking some individual sessions. Now it’s been more than five years.. while understanding the journey of my art life..

Art is form.. which reflects your inner thoughts.. it shouldn’t be judgmental when you do it wholeheartedly. I’m blessed to be creative problem solver & being creative is the one of the greatest joy of my life.

Kani.artwork
    Participant

As a kid, I used to draw a lot, and almost every time I used to be interested in the visual story of my environment. I have completed an art degree in various media and bachelors & master in design from NIFT Kolkata and Delhi respectively. I love to visualize and illustrate my thoughts and I feel art as a language is very powerful. One of my high points of being a designer was when I bagged the Art of reuse award from Hidesign.

Presently, I am an experience designer with EY. I have worked as a product designer before masters and post masters I shifted to UX and interface design. Previously I used to work with Lollypop Design Studio.

When presented with the question of the difference between art and design, I feel that they are connected in all realms. The only difference being, art has no purpose but to match the aesthetics of the artists whereas any art when presented with a purpose becomes design.
    I believe that art is emotive and design is utilitarian; and when you merge emotion and utility you bring out the best in user experience.

My art page on instagram, pen_pencil_pen, was started around a year ago but I wasn’t regular at it. Now I make myself extremely dedicated to the page, and since practice makes us better, I keep brushing my various art ideas via this handle. pen_pencil_pen is really special to me and I would love to nurture it with more amazing artworks and I believe in getting inspired and inspiring others, so this platform definitely helps me in achieving that.

I feel one should know the basic art forms and techniques to be a good digital illustrator. If you know your lines well using a pencil then you can handle Wacom or apple pencil as well. Thus aptly named, pen_pencil_pen is my instagram handle.

Hereon, I would love to keep implementing various techniques and aesthetics towards my design goals, thus finding a style which keeps me content and my followers resonate with. I also love augmented reality, so I really want to design and create illustrations around AR, maybe with Adobe Aero, one of the many softwares, I was recently researching.

I have learnt a few things in the short span of time that I have been professionally intertwined in this industry and one of the key learning is that every artist should do their ground research before jumping into any artwork. Most of the time, illustrations can be sensitive because it depicts an environment, thus we need valid information while creating any facts oriented illustration.

“A rationale for our irrational creations, is the key to growing as an artist but more importantly, growing as a human being.”

sheebachandini
    Participant

Hi everyone!
    I am an artist. I have always created art. One of my very first pieces of art was a school of fish. I remember drawing circles using a bracelet and filling it with a lot of details. I believe I knew then, that I will one day be an artist. I have always loved colors, patterns and fashion.
    I am an artist. I have always created art. One of my very first pieces of art was a school of fish. I remember drawing circles using a bracelet and filling it with a lot of details. I believe I knew then, that I will one day be an artist. I have always loved colors, patterns and fashion.

I went on to do my Bachelors in Computer Application. After which I did my Graphic Design and Fashion Design through Vogue Institute of Fashion Technology where I came first in my class. I put it all in the back-burner while I was raising my kids. I continued to decorate and redecorate my home to keep my artistic side alive. I enjoyed teaching my kids art and enjoyed working on projects with them. Now as my kids are older I am back to designing, painting and creating. As I began creating about a year ago, the maximalist style was born. I believe that more is beautiful! With an intense passion for all things beautiful, I’ve been involved in this industry since 2000. Through my Pattern Design Portfolio, I aim to showcase timeless and alluring designs for the world to enjoy. Although this has been a lifelong interest of mine, I only recently joined the industry as a professional.
    I went on to do my Bachelors in Computer Application. After which I did my Graphic Design and Fashion Design through Vogue Institute of Fashion Technology where I came first in my class.

I put it all in the back-burner while I was raising my kids. I continued to decorate and redecorate my home to keep my artistic side alive. I enjoyed teaching my kids art and enjoyed working on projects with them.

Now as my kids are older I am back to designing, painting and creating. As I began creating about a year ago, the maximalist style was born. I believe that more is beautiful! With an intense passion for all things beautiful, I’ve been involved in this industry since 2000. Through my Pattern Design Portfolio, I aim to showcase timeless and alluring designs for the world to enjoy. Although this has been a lifelong interest of mine, I only recently joined the industry as a professional.

What you are about to see is the result of hard work, coffee, long nights, and very little sleep. I have created many collections and patterns since this past year. I use watercolor as the medium to create my designs.
    What you are about to see is the result of hard work, coffee, long nights, and very little sleep. I have created many collections and patterns since this past year. I use watercolor as the medium to create my designs.

I have traveled extensively. I have traveled through India from the foothills of the Himalayas in the North to the Southern tip of Kanyakumari. After I moved to the USA I have visited many states from the beautiful Coast of California to the beautiful southernmost state of the New England region : Connecticut in the West. I have had the opportunity to travel to Mexico, Canada and some South Asian countries. I love to travel and would love to continue exploring the world. All of my designs are influenced by these beautiful memories. I’m proud to represent beautiful designs that are fresh, original, and timeless.
    I have traveled extensively. I have traveled through India from the foothills of the Himalayas in the North to the Southern tip of Kanyakumari. After I moved to the USA I have visited many states from the beautiful Coast of California to the beautiful southernmost state of the New England region : Connecticut in the West. I have had the opportunity to travel to Mexico, Canada and some South Asian countries. I love to travel and would love to continue exploring the world. All of my designs are influenced by these beautiful memories. I’m proud to represent beautiful designs that are fresh, original, and timeless.

@sheebachandini

Vanibhalla10
    Participant

Hey! I’m Vani and i am trying to find a style as an artist:) Art has always been a part of me though i realised that later in my life. I always loved reading comics or to be precise any book which had lots of visual content in it. I was never fascinated by thick novels but instead the cover page intrigued me. I always used to admire every artistic and colorful cover i ever saw. Despite of having a passion for art i ignored it and went on with a boring life, studying, caring about my marksheet and 10 years went by. In the urge to find my self i was lost, went on with peer pressure and tried every other hobby i could including music, sports, poetry but i knew that these were just hobbies and i couldnt use them as an escape from my normal life. By the time i was in 12th i was totally convinced that i wanted to be a CA, all thanks to my parents!! Then one day i dont know why i decided that i couldn’t take it any more and studying is not my thing. Art has always been an escape for me, on that day i realised, no matter what i want to be an artist and im ready for each and every struggle that will come my way. But my skills were not that great since i couldnt take out the time to draw because i had tuitions and had to study. During my class 12th boards, fine arts practical the teacher who came to grade us told me that “i wont be able to make it to any college because my work was not that good and its easy to dream about stuff but its very difficult to fulfill them”, i was disheartened. The moment i finished my boards i took art classes for my entrances. I ignored all the negativity and cleared all the entrances that i gave in all the colleges. Finally getting admission in College of Art, Delhi was my 1st step towards success and to be very honest getting admission in that college was like a dream come true. Getting a 12th rank all over india out of 47 seats was literally a great deal for me. Gradually after having so many sleepless nights, drawing day after day i got better and improved my skills and to be very honest i’ve never been this happy in my life. I love what i do now and most importantly i enjoy doing it.

krishna
    Participant

Profile PhotoMentor – I think they can change you completely.

While in school, I couldn’t get a good mentor who could answer my queries related to career choices. Taking lessons from our experiences as students who faced a lot of trouble in deciding our career paths, we, three students from Tata Institute of Social Sciences, thought of starting an initiative, MargDarshan. This was an idea we came up with on the train, on our journey back home. Even if we have decided our career paths, we need someone from that field to illuminate us on many details, for example on what it takes to pursue that particular career or what it feels like after having pursued that career.

With certain goals set, we contacted like minded undergraduate students from top universities in India to be mentors to someone in need. We have held a few sessions with students and have reached out to around 100 students in total through group mentoring sessions.In collaboration with a few schools and other organisations, we are trying to fill the gap in the education system that is there due to lack of mentoring opportunities. In the whole process, we support mentors in delivering to the expectations of students through various support mechanisms.

We are very hopeful that in coming future, with diverse options opening up at a very young age to students through NEP 2020, we will be helpful in every way possible to them.

akriti kishori
    Participant
    Ishapatwa.art
    Participant

Ever since I was 3 year old, I have been fond of throwing colours on a canvas – intercepting an art form of herself. Today, over 20 years later – I have found myself specializing in different forms of art – ranging from various oil painting techniques like knife and finger techniques to fluid art forms. With an attempt to share my passion, I also hold online fluid art workshops PAN India. In the process of wanting to pursue designing as a career to doodling in between work meetings, my bond with art only grew stronger. Apart from being an artpreneur, I am also a dance choreographer and social entrepreneur along with pursuing a career in Finance – combining various art skills not only on canvases, but in life.

Isha Patwa - Founder and artist
    Packaging video
    BTS painting - Isha Patwa founder

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

All of us have skills and life experiences that we can share. Bodhiroom is a platform where curious people, from all walks of life, can come together to learn for learning’s sake.

contact us

• 2nd Floor, Tower 2, Planet Godrej,
    Mahalaxmi, Mumbai - 400011

• For workshop-related inquiries: workshops@bodhiroom.com
    For other business inquiries: contact@bodhiroom.com
  • WhatsApp: +91 9810923825

Share your learning journey on our 'Stories' page. If we publish, you'll win a coupon for 50% off a Bodhiroom workshop.